- For Branzino
- 2 branzino filets, skin on
- 4 oz organic honey, or local farm honey
- 4 oz warm water
- 4oz of extra virgin olive oil (for sautéing)
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into halves
- For Tardivo
- 1 head of tardivo, cut into fourths.
- For Broccoli Rabe
- 1 cleaned bunch of bocoli rabe with 6-8 flowers removed, leaving about 1-1.5 inches of stem.
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 oz of extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste
1. Make sure fish is clean with no bones or scales.
2. Mix organic honey and warm water in bowl and whisk lightly until the honey has dissolved in water.
3. Put honey mixture onto a large platter. Lay the 2 branzino filets down in the mixture to coat both sides of the filets.
4. In a preheated 12-inch sautee pan, add 2-3oz of extra virgin olive oil and gently heat oil. When the olive oil is heated, place branzino filets skin down for 3-4 minutes until skin is crispy and golden brown. Flip branzino and cook for additional 1-1.5 minutes on other side.
5. In the same pan as branzino filets as they are cooking, place in the tardivo in suatee pan. Cook tardivo for the same time as branzino, turning tardivo occasionally until all sides are cooked.
1. Boil 6-8 rapini flowers in an 8 quart pot with salted water. When water comes to a boil, drop broccoli rabe and cook for approximately 3 minutes.
2. Immediately remove broccoli rabe from water and cover with ice to flash cool rapini flowers so they do not continue to cook. This process is called blanching.
3. Crush three cloves of garlic, brown garlic in sautee pan with 3oz of EVO. When garlic is golden brown, add broccoli rabe flowers, salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste. Sautee for 2-4 minutes, depending on how you like your broccoli rabe cooked. Personally, I prefer it cooked al dente, so I tend to cook mine for only 2-2.5 minutes.
1. On a white plate, split prepared broccoli rabe into 2 portions and put each portion in the center of one of the plates, see photo above.
2. From the sautee pan containing prepared branzino and tardivo, place one piece of tardivo on the plate next to broccoli rabe.
3. With a long spatula, or fish spatula, carefully remove each filet and place them on top of tardivo and broccoli rabe in the center of the plate.
4. Garnish with half of a fresh lemon.
What can I use in place of tardivo. Tardivo is difficult to find. Radicchio or ???