The secret ingredients to great risotto have been revealed: time, love, and Vic’s full recipe for Amarone Risotto!
Amarone Risotto Recipe
- 2 cups Vialone nano rice
- ½ bottle of Amarone wine
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Zucca (pumpkin or butternut squash) removed skin and cut into half inch squares
- Monte Veronese cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion diced into small squares
- Vegetable stock
- In a medium sautee pan, add 2 oz of extra virgin olive oil until heated. Add red onion and pumpkin to olive oil. Sautee until onions are golden and pumpkin is soft.
- Season with fresh ground salt and pepper and place sautee pan and mixture to the side.
- On the back of the stove, 8 quart saucepan halfway with vegetable stock. This will be used often during the recipe, so please keep stock warm as this is very important to making perfect risotto.
- In a medium sautee pan add remaining diced onion with 2 oz olive oil and sautee until onion is soft.
- Add Vialone nano rice and sautee rice with olive oil and onion for 2 minutes.
- Start to add vegetable stock one 4 oz ladel at a time. This is the tricky part of risotto. You need to tend to the risotto, adding stock as needed.
- As stock reduces add 1 quarter bottle of Amarone. Continue to simmer as Amarone and stock reduce.
- Add a touch of fresh ground black pepper, I would hold back on the salt until you add the Monte Veronese cheese as it is quite salty.
- Continue to add stock and Amarone as needed. Being attentive is key! This risotto recipe takes approximately 20 minutes to complete.
- As risotto reduces and becomes creamy add 1 tablespoon of butter. When butter is melted into risotto add 4 oz of finely grated Monte Veronese cheese to complete the risotto recipe.
- Now we are ready to plate this delicious Veronese risotto. Put 1 and ½ large spoonfulls of risotto on each 10 inch dinner plate.
- Top with pumpkin saffrito and sprinkle grated Monte Veronese cheese on top of each plate. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 4