Carciofi Ripieni (Stuffed Artichoke)
Serves: One artichoke per person
- 4 jumbo – 18 count artichokes
- 1 piece of day old focaccia or Italian bread (grind in food processor)
- 8 ounces grated Pecorino Romano
- 8 ounces grated Reggiano Parmigiano
- 2 ounces chopped fresh Italian Parsley
- ½ cup chop fresh garlic sautéed until light brown
- ½ cup of onions chopped fine and sautéed till translucent
- 10 ounces Paesano extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium mixing bowl combine ground focaccia, parsley, garlic, onions, Pecorino Romano, Reggiano Parmigiano, Fresh ground black pepper, and 6 ounces of olive oil.
- In a 8 quart sauce pan fill it ½ full with water add 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Cut and clean artichokes.
- Spread artichoke leaves open and push bread mixture into each artichoke. You want stuff each artichoke to the top with bread mixture.
- Place artichokes in saucepan they need to fit snug but not tight.
- Cook at medium heat for approximately 45 minutes.
- The true test is to pull on artichoke leaves to check if they are done. If leaves fall off easily artichokes they are cooked .
- Serve each artichoke in a bowl spoon some of broth left in pot over each artichoke. Finish with Paesano extra virgin olive oil and grated pecorino and Parmigiano cheeses.
The delicious Italian recipes continue as Vic shows you how to make classic Italian Stuffed Artichoke, or Carciofi Ripieni. See Vic prepare this dish on the Better TV Show, then see the recipe and try it at home!