You know Vic’s recipe for fried calamari, now try it grilled! This delicious grilled calamari is served with a pea purée and pea salad that is guaranteed to impress!
Grilled Calamari with Pea Purée and Pea Salad
- 2 cleaned tubes of Calamari
- 8 oz. of Paesano extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 1-cup fresh peas
- 4 oz. of julienned Prosciutto di Parma
- 10 cleaned, blanched, and julienned snap peas
- 3 green endive leaves
- 3 red endive leaves
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- Fresh basil and parsley (for calamari marinade)
- Clean 2 tubes of calamari and blanch in boiling water for 1 min. Remove from boiling water and let sit at room temperature until calamari is cool.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 oz Paesano EVOO, 1 clove of chopped garlic, chopped basil, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place cooled calamari in marinade for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- In a 10-inch sauté pan at medium heat, add 2oz of Paesano EVOO, diced onions, and julienned Prosciutto di Parma. Continue to sauté at medium heat until onions are translucent and begin to brown. Add 1-cup fresh peas and sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove half of sauté pan contents and put into blender. Blend with Paesano EVOO, salt and pepper until puree is smooth as seen in episode 1.
- On heated grill, place marinated calamari and grill with weighted brick on top of the calamari for 2 minutes on each side. When calamari is done, remove from grill and place on cutting board.
- On the center of a 10-inch round plate, spread pea puree from blender in the center of the plate making a 6-inch circle of puree.
- Place red and green endive leaves on the plate as seen in recipe diagram above.
- Now add the remaining peas, prosciutto and onion from sauté pan to the center of the plate on top of the pea puree.
- Julianne calamari in thin 1/8 to 1/4 inch strips. Gently place julienned calamari on top of pea, onion and prosciutto mixture.
- Add snap peas to plate as shown in above diagram.
- Drizzle with Paesano EVOO and sprinkle chili flakes if you like it hot!
- Buon Appetito, this salad recipe feeds 2 people.