Vic gives away the recipe for one of his most requested recipes: Melanzane Fritti! Also called Rigatoni Melazane, this recipe reveals the secret to creating the perfect crunchy fried eggplant cubes. Read, cook, and be merry!
Melanzane Fritti Recipe
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 24 ounces pomodoro sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 4 ounces freshly ground Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 ounces chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 8 leaves of fresh basil
- 12 ounces vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Peel eggplant and ¾ of inch cubes; they all have to be the same size.
- Soak them in 2 gallons of salted water over night.
- The next day drain eggplant and they are ready to cook.
- Season 2 cups of flour with salt and freshly ground black pepper and put in large bowl.
- Put a pot of boiling water on at high heat remember to salt the water.
- When the water boils add the rigatoni to the water. Stir rigatoni often so it does not stick. Follow time guidelines on package for cooking.
- Heat pomodoro sauce in a 16 inch sauté pan at medium heat until it boils; stir often so the sauce does not burn.
- In a large sauté pan approximately 16-18 inch, heat vegetable oil at medium heat.
- When oil is hot coat each eggplant cube with the flour mixture and fry until they are golden brown.
- Flip eggplant squares with slotted spoon or spatula.
- Place eggplant on paper towel to drain excess oil. Immediately place eggplant in large bowl and toss with Parmigiano Reggiano and parsley.
- Drain the rigatoni and add to sauté pan holding the heated pomodoro sauce, toss in fresh mozzarella until it starts to melt.
- Spoon the rigatoni and sauce into shallow bowls. Top each bowl with Parmigiano coated eggplant, and serve.