Meatless and made from common inexpensive ingredients, Pasta Fagioli (pasta and beans) is a staple of simple Italian cooking. Get Vic’s delicious take on the classic recipe here!
Pasta Fagioli Recipe
- 6 ounces pancetta
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 3 ounces freshly chopped garlic
- 1 quart cannellini beans
- 1 quart ceci (chickpea) beans
- 1 quart chopped DOP Italian tomatoes
- 2 quart chicken stock
- 4 ounces freshly ground Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red hot chili flakes
- ½ pound cooked ditalini pasta
- In a 16-18 inch sauté pan add olive oil and finely chopped pancetta. Render the pancetta until golden- dark brown.
- Add chopped garlic and continue to sauté until garlic starts to brown approximately 1 minute. This happens very fast because pancetta and olive oil are very hot.
- Now add cannellini beans, ceci beans, tomatoes and chicken stock, continue to cook at medium heat until mixture boils. Stir the mixture with a fine wire wisk; the goal is to reduce the mixture under heat and break down some of the beans to thicken the Pasta Fagioli.
- Continue to cook at medium heat whisking frequently so not to burn pasta fagioli. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, stir in Parmigiano Reggiano and break basil leaves by hand and add to sauté pan.
- Add cooked ditalini pasta and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Serve in large bowls drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.